This could be considered Malaysia’s own version of steak. The beef is often grilled until the outer part is charred, emitting an earthy texture but then glorified by the scrumptious center of the beef. When dipped in the juicy tamarind sauce it delivers a sour and spicy burst that greatly compliments the grilled beef.
Serving: 4 people
|Ingredients for Grilled Beef
||Ingredients Tamarind Dip (Air Asam)
500g sirloin beef
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 piece banana leaf, measuring 30x30cm
3 sliced green chilies
5 bird’s eye chilies (cili padi)
5 sliced shallots
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1 tbsp tamarind pulp, mixed with 60ml water
1tsp shrimp paste (belacan) powder
Salt to taste
- Preparation of Grilled Beef
- Wash and make several slits on the beef. Rub beef evenly with coarse salt.
- Place beef on grill or wire mesh lined with banana leaf.
- Grill for 30 minutes over a charcoal heat until beef is cooked.
- Remove from grill and slice as desired.
- Serve with Tamarind Dip* (see recipe below).
- Preparation of Tamarind Dip (Air Asam) Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well