Like the beef version of this recipe, grilled mackerel with tamarind dip is a traditional favorite of the Malays but it is fair to mention that it has influences from the Thais. The contrasting taste of coconut grilled fish with the pleasantly shuddering sourness of the dip is every bit exciting over dinner with friends. Feel free to use what ever kind of fish you prefer although Mackerel is most ideal.
Serving: 4 people
||Ingredients to be ground
||Ingredients of Tamarind dip
800g chub mackerel
100ml coconut cream
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 piece banana leaf
3 cloves garlic
3 sliced green chilies
5 bird’s eye chilies (cili padi)
5 sliced shallots
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1 tbsp tamarind pulp, mixed with 60ml water
1tsp shrimp paste (belacan) powder
Salt to taste
1 clove garlic
7 dried chilies
2 tbsp oil
¾ cup of ikan bilis (dried anchovies)
2 tbsp tamarind juice
salt to taste
sugar to taste
Preparation of Grilled mackerel
- Mix the ground ingredients with coconut cream and salt to taste until well combined.
- Line the grill or wire mesh with banana leaf.
- Place fish on banana leaf and spread coconut mixture on fish.
- Grill for 30 minutes in the oven grill with the oven door slightly ajar.
- Serve grilled fish with Tamarind Dip.
Preparation of Tamarind dip
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.